I recently had the pleasure of reviewing these babies!
They are Black Freshwater Button Pearl Earrings from Pearl & Clasp. I have always had a preconceived idea of pearls. I thought they were for the classy, well behaved, old-fashioned, and well . . . older women. See below
And well, I didn’t really see myself as any of the above (conceded much?). I’ve never felt that pearls looked “right” on me either. When I attempted to wear them they stuck out like a sore thumb. So naturally I was a bit hesitant to give them a try–again.
I was given the choice of white, pink or black pearl earrings. I chose black and that made me feel a bit more comfortable, because they aren’t your traditional or typical white pearls. After wearing them for a few days they grew on me.
Why I Love These Pearls!
- They look pretty good on me–I think!? I was right in the middle of moving when I received my pearls and tried them on right away, so it’s not the best picture.
- They are affordable, at $24 a pair for the basic to well over $500.
- They are versatile– I believe black pearls can be paired with pretty much anything without looking out of place. I wear them in my uniform (mommy play-date clothes) or to church (I would say on date night –but when was the last time that happened. HA!). It’s nice to step outside of my comfort zone of lovely gold hoops, and if you have read my blog you know that 2014 is the year of stepping out of comfort!
- For some reason pearls scream romance and femininity, and help to round out my, sharp edges. While preserving a little edge, thanks to the black iridescent color 🙂
Why I Love These Pearls Not So Much
There is only one reason–Duh! They aren’t Vegan. 🙁 My mother in law knows EVERYTHING about gemstones. While she was in town helping us move I asked her about pearls and she reminded me of the obvious, which were that:
- They aren’t Vegan
- Freshwater pearls are basically farmed or cultured
We try our best not to purchase anything, that anything had to die or be killed for. Even sea creatures. Since I am a strict vegetarian when I wear pearls in the future they will be vegan (faux) pearls. Who knows, maybe Pearl & Clasp will come out with a vegan pearl line! I’d be the first to buy! hint hint 😉
Oh! Pearl & Clasp have some amazing clasps, that allow you to add your own style to your pearls.While I am still unsure if pearls are my thing, I realize that It’s not the pearls that made me think “old lady” it was the way the pearls were \worn. Check out these hot young women rocking pearls!
Matthew 13:45 (NLT)
45 “Again, the Kingdom of Heaven is like a merchant on the lookout for choice pearls.